Wednesday, June 03, 2009

How Spell Check Saved My Life


Binnie Kirshenbaum, in the LA Times, discusses the joys and woes of spell-check.

From the story...

Now, I don't need to know how to spell "arbor" or any other word. Spell-check corrects the misspelled words or flags them, offering me a list of possibilities, which are sometimes amusing. My own name, Binnie, gave my first computer pause. Among the five or six replacement words were bean, binnacle and bunny. I didn't know what a "binnacle" was, but technological wonder of wonders, the definition was but a click away. And yet, I never took to the computer's dictionary. It seems too flimsy, not complete, as if not up to the task of multiple definitions or the many possible nuances of a given word.

Spelling, though, that's different. With the occasional exception -- because this is English -- there is but one way to spell a word. (Mark Twain be damned.) Spell-check, I am fond of saying, has saved my life, which is hyperbolic for sure. Spell-check has not saved my life, but it has saved me hours and hours of looking through the dictionary for the correct spelling of one out of 10 words.

No comments: