Monday, September 21, 2009

More Crappy News for Short Story Writers


That's the headline from The Rumpus about the current state of short story publishing.

From the piece...

Mark Trainer publishes an excerpt of a note he received from a “thoughtful, well-respected agent” on his blog.

“I have no confidence in being able to place a collection at this time in the world of publishing. Publishers don’t like to publish short story collections in general unless they are VERY high concept or by someone very strange or very famous or Indian. In the current climate, it is harder to publish even those. Some of the authors I represent have story collections I have not been able to talk their loyal publishers into publishing. I can’t in good conscience encourage you to send them to me. It will just make both of us feel bad. I am very sorry. If you write another novel, I will gladly read it.”

I may be doing a bit of armchair publishing here, but what are the publishing houses thinking?

The form of the short story collection is so uniquely well-suited to the Internet age. A good short story should grab you by the junk and make you yelp in that first line. So should good web copy. A good short story should be no longer than it need be. So should good web copy. I could go on. There are many very important differences between the two types of writing, but the publishing houses could be taking advantage of the similarities to develop a model that could turn a profit.

No comments: