Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day Special: Don't Write Off Love Letters Yet


So says the Telegraph.

From the piece...

When I asked around among my acquaintances, I assumed that the results of my unscientific sampling of teenagers, twentysomethings and thirtysomethings would be overwhelmingly negative. The conventional wisdom is that almost no one writes letters, let alone love letters, today. Indeed, figures released earlier this week by Lindt Lindor chocolates show that while 78 per cent of the women surveyed said they’d like to receive a handwritten letter, only 50 per cent of the men admitted to ever having written one.

Happily, though, my research threw up different results. The teenagers I spoke to agree that texting, while perfect for flirting, and for saying you are on the train, is also great for jump-starting a new relationship. But they are unanimous that they would never, ever tell their love to someone by email: they would write it on a card instead. This explains why there is a card shop, or two, on every high street – and with Valentine’s Day coming up on Sunday, they’ll be busy.

It’s the same for the young grown-ups I spoke to. Emails, my informant Mark tells me, are just not cool for anything but the briefest tender message. Making love by email is “a faux pas” as well as being a security risk or even an insult: “Anyone who sends an e-Valentine really, really does not care.”

No comments: