Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Writing for Love


"I'm lucky enough to get paid for it," says AL Kennedy in a small essay in the Guardian, "but the pleasures and rewards of putting words together can and should be shared by all."

From the story...

Yesterday I spent an hour-and-a-half talking to an audience about what I love, which is working with words. I am, in fact, paid to keep words around, tend them, and give them to other people. My performance was happening as part of the Writing on the Wall festival, so I was pretty much singing to the choir, but still it's always great to be in a big room full of human beings who are exploring alternatives to what can often appear to be the Standard Issue Way of Thinking: What happens if we don't agree that TV was invented to let us hear strangers yelling about having sex with relatives or how we are constantly threatened by dangerous scum? What if we don't believe our newspapers, or do maintain an affection and respect for our own species not currently shared by many with power in public life? What happens if we have free imagination?

No comments: