Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Favorite Blogs


Recently, PC Magazine unveiled its favorite 100 blogs of 2007. It's a good list. Of course, many of the blogs are focused on computers and technology but there's a good smattering of art and culture, science and politics within its ranks.

I won't give you my top 100. But below is a list, in no particular order, of my Top Ten favorite blogs. The list, I should note, doesn't include those blogs done by brothers-in-law, friends, coworkers, or my wife (though look at her art, it's amazing).

Caveats aside, let's move forward with my Top Ten Favorite Blogs!

1) Neatorama. A collection of neato stuff from all over this neato thing we call the internet.
2) Mustaches of the 19th Century. Reveling in the lost facial hair arts.
3) USA Today's Pop Candy. Whitney Matheson unwraps pop culture's hip and hidden treasures.
4) Large-Hearted Boy. A music blog featuring daily free and legal music downloads as well as news from the worlds of music, literature, and pop culture.
5) Blog of a Book Slut. The critically-acclaimed book-related site has its own groovy blog that trolls the world of books, authors, and publishing.
6) Indexed. Smart. Funny. Intelligent. Quirky. Note cards.
7) Gristmill. An environmental news blog that's not boring.
8) Three Quarks Daily. An extremely intelligent, and very entertaining, site that presents interesting items from around the web on a daily basis, in the areas of science, design, literature, current affairs, art, and anything else they deem inherently fascinating.
9) Vintage photos at Shorpy. Titling themselves "The 100-Year-Old Photo Blog" they show, well, really old, and really riveting, photos of old.
10) Post Secret. Write your secret on a postcard. Send it in. Have it posted for all to read.

I feel bad for only having 10. There are many more I frequent, from the Ugly Mailbox blog to the Modern Mechanics blog, the blogs of Wired Magazine and the one where a guy explains Marmaduke panels in 500 words or less. Perhaps I'll give a shout out to those on another post.

Until then, have fun out there!

3 comments:

uncleboob said...

After I read the article and it reminds me of a tool I downloaded month ago. Its called g(oo)gle(sc)rambl(er) and is

written in C#. ---- There is a problem with copying content from other websites - google will kick your (sub-)domain

very quickly. So you have to scramble the text before you put it on your website. The tool helped me very much to

get a lot more visitors and the ads I host are clicked much more often. The project seems to be a non-profit

project, very nice of the programmer. http://www.uncleboob.de/googlescrambler-net - Sarah

Christian said...

I guess being mentioned in a post about your favorite blogs is good. Even though my being mentioned was in the context of not being included. ;-)

gestroud said...

Boy, I see that uncleboob spam a lot recently. That guy sure gets around.