Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jon's Gone Old World


"I descend toward the Seine, shy, a traveler,
A young barbarian just come to the capital of the world."
- Czeslaw Milosz

Well, my friends, I am, a young barbarian, traveling to the Netherlands and France soon. My wonderful sister-in-law and husband gave me their airline miles to come visit them (they live in Rotterdam). My bags are packed, my passport is ready to be stamped and I have appropriate reading material for lazy mornings in outdoor cafes.



The trip is going to be a dream but, sadly, this blog will be slumbering while I'm out dreaming away the coming days in Europe. Fear not, faithful readers, I'll be back the end of February with, undoubtedly, countless stories of my travels.



"I just mean that I regarded Paris, with its gray-toned days and charcoal nights, merely as the chance setting for the most authentic and faithful days of my life: the colored phrase in my mind under the drizzle, the white page under the desk lamp awaiting me in my humble home."
- Vladimir Nabokov

Au Revoir!

No comments: