Monday, May 31, 2010

Lies That Entertain: An Interview with Hannah Tinti


The Faster Times interviews one of my favorite writers of late, Hannah Tinti.

From the piece...

LBB: A question about planning and outlining. One of the first scenes you wrote was about Dolly being found in a coffin after he’d been buried alive. That scene appears in the middle of the book. I’m curious, did you know how your book was going to end when you started writing it?

HT: I don’t outline at all. Whenever I try and lead the story somewhere, it doesn’t work. I have to let the story lead me. It’s kind of like using a divining rod. I write a scene, and think, well, what happened before this? Or what happened next? And often when I actually start writing the sentences they take me into a completely different direction.

No comments: