Friday, January 14, 2011

The Process for An Object of Beauty


How did the book cover design for Steve Martin's new novel, An Object of Beauty, come about? The designer let's us know, here.

From the piece...

As you can see from the sketches, there were basically two directions that I refined. The first one, a clean and bold direction inspired a bit by Ed Ruscha. Anne mentioned Ruscha's name during our initial conversation and it stuck with me during the sketch phase, maybe because Ruscha also had some significance to Mr. Martin. From the start of the project, I aimed for it to be on a solid white background to ensure it would stand out against other covers. The other direction is more script-like and now that I'm looking at it, I don't know what I was thinking because it's not very sophisticated at all. Since imperfections help make things unique and beautiful, I felt it was important that the final lettering contained imperfections, ie: the R and N in Martin. The T in Object is slightly off kilter, etc...

No comments: