Thursday, March 03, 2011

Graphic Novels for Kids Makes Comics More Accessible to All


Wired celebrates kiddy comics.

From the story...

Reading comic books is fairly intimidating if you don’t get into it until later in life. There is this huge mythos surrounding it all. So many people are “in the know” about all the characters, such as the Marvel universe versus the DC universe (I couldn’t tell you which superhero is in which), that you feel like the person at the gym who never goes to the gym. What are all these machines for? How do I use them? One visit is all it takes and then you run away, ashamed of your ignorance, thinking everyone can tell.

I’m a comic book newbie. I never got into comic books when I was a kid, unlike many of the other GeekDad contributors. I have read a handful of comics in my life, but never anything significant. My life has not really been the worse for it, but I do feel a distinct absence of knowledge in that area.

Enter the library. My kids and I recently discovered that our local library has graphic novels for kids. Perhaps they have them for grownups, too, but we spend almost all our time in the kids’ area so I wouldn’t know. I skipped over the Disney ones and found masterpieces such as Owly and T-Minus: The Race to the Moon. My kids grabbed Johnny Boo and Otto’s Orange Day. And after several visits to the library to see their entire (but very small) collection, I got hooked. Now I check out the kid graphic novel section on almost every library visit to see if there is anything new.

No comments: