Thursday, December 22, 2011

Kind Reader


There's a new column on Barnes & Noble Review in which contributor Jessa Crispin answers readers' questions on life and love with her library as the ultimate arbiter.

From the column...

I hate Seattle, but I also hate Ohio (where I grew up) and New York City (where I went to school) and Athens, Georgia (where my brother lives). Is it me? Also, how should I decide where to live next?

Oh, of course it’s you.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing. But if at this point in your life you’re still looking for a place to call “home,” a place that makes you feel safe and snug, a place whose map is imprinted on the inside of your skull, well... Perhaps the more likely thing is that you’re one of us rootless types, one who feels she is just as connected to the hotel room she’ll occupy for 48 hours as the place of her birth.

The problem is that most books about drifters -- your Beats, your bohemians, your nomads -- don’t understand, or really get at, the longing that can come with someone without a permanent address.

No comments: