Monday, April 16, 2012

David Sedaris - By the Book

 
Humorist David Sedaris is interviewed by the New York Times about his reading habits.

From the article...

Do you consider yourself a fiction or a nonfiction person? What’s your favorite literary genre? Any guilty pleasures?
 
I like nonfiction books about people with wretched lives. The worse off the subjects, the more inclined I am to read about them. When it comes to fictional characters, I’m much less picky. Happy, confused, bitter: if I like the writing I’ll take all comers. I guess my guilty pleasure would be listening to the British audio versions of the “Harry Potter” books. They’re read by the great Stephen Fry, and I play them over and over, like an 8-year-old. 

What book had the greatest impact on you? What book made you want to write?
I remember being floored by the first Raymond Carver collection I read: “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.” His short, simple sentences and -familiar-seeming characters made writing look, if not exactly easy, then at least possible. That book got me to work harder, but more important it opened the door to other contemporary short story writers like Tobias Wolff and Alice Munro.

No comments: