Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Stories Coming Soon in Northwest Travel Magazine


I've recently finished up writing a couple short one-page stories for Northwest Travel Magazine. They were fun to write because they're close to home to me, in more ways than one.

The first was a profile about Vashon Island, the place I call home. For those that don't know it, Vashon is a small rural jewel of a place between Seattle and Tacoma. It's home to artists and aging hippies, lawyers and organic farmers. With a population of 10,000 +/-, you get to know your neighbors, and get to know the deer that eat your rose beds and the bald eagles who soar above your roof. There's nothing better than spending a Saturday morning with my daughter in town eating a pastry near the town park. I don't plan on leaving any time soon.

The second was a story about spending the day in Olympia with children. I grew up in Olympia so going back there, so my daughter can visit her grandparents and other assorted Shipley people, is a treat. Seeing Olympia through her eyes makes me appreciate where I grew up. There's the Farmers Market (where she insists on eating "those pepper meat stick things") and the Capitol Building, the children's museum and the used bookstores where you can sit in a fluffy chair and read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. All in all, it was great fun researching a story with my kid.

No comments: