Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bond Bible Study


Well, here's something a bit odd. A Methodist minister has a new book where bible study meets Bond...James Bond. That's right, the book, Seven Deadlier Sins & 007's Moral Compass, brings together James Bond (and, I hope, that Jaws guy. You know, the big huge guy with the creepy teeth) and scripture.

From the author's website...

I've discovered a great deal of literary evidence that Ian Fleming intentionally wove major spiritual themes into his novels. My new book is a key unlocking secrets Fleming hid in plain sight—but that Bible study groups, until now, would not have dared to discuss.

Also...

My journey in Bond-age has stretched over thirty years. It began as a fluke while I was on vacation ... But, wait! Why not click on the "Samples from the Book" link (at left) and enjoy a little taste of what I have written.

Unlocking the secrets in the Bond tales has been personally revealing and rewarding in my own life. As you look at the Bond tales through the lens I have focused on them—you, too, will be humbled by revelations.

Once you have grasped my perspective, I suspect you will never see another Bond movie or read a Bond adventure in the same way. I welcome you to this exploration of yourself and your community through the remarkably enlightening tales of Ian Fleming.

As you embark on this adventure with us, I wish for you honesty, grace, forgiveness, and a fertile imagination for the journey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jonathan:

Thanks for sharing a kind word on the Bond Bible study idea. Looking around your site, I'm gathering you're a writer of like mind with a lot of us in this overall ReadTheSpirit project. The new Bond book and site is part of the bigger www.ReadTheSpirit.com
.
Don't be a stranger. I mean, I looked through your interests -- a virtual mirror match to many of my own deepest interests. The films -- a pretty darned good match right down to Oz. The books -- ditto.
.
I'm a former 30-plus-year senior writer and editor for newspapers (KR then Gannett). When newspapers began tossing senior writers out the window, I retired a year ago and cofounded the ReadTheSpirit project. If you care to dig into who we are -- there's even a 10 Principles link on most of our main pages.
.
Anyway -- Our whole purpose is to link interesting voices in -- broadly speaking -- the spiritual realm, pretty much as you outline it in your bio. In my world, that's a pretty good snapshot of a spiritual window on the world.
.
Let me make two requests:
No. 1 -- If you see the movie, we're looking for comments on our site -- there are easy Comment links everywhere there. And we're more than happy to link back to your site.
No. 2 -- We're especially interested in some groups popping up in various areas to talk about the book. I know you're out on that wonderful island -- but if you felt so moved to talk over the book with friends and tell us what you think -- I'm happy to even send you out a review copy. Get me a mailing address.

All best!
David Crumm
david.crumm@gmail.com