Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Inaugural Address


Bartleby has collected all the inaugural addresses of the Presidents, from George Washington to Barack Obama, including, of course, James K. Polk's (pictured above) speech.

From Polk's speech, given March 4, 1845...

In assuming responsibilities so vast I fervently invoke the aid of that Almighty Ruler of the Universe in whose hands are the destinies of nations and of men to guard this Heaven-favored land against the mischiefs which without His guidance might arise from an unwise public policy. With a firm reliance upon the wisdom of Omnipotence to sustain and direct me in the path of duty which I am appointed to pursue, I stand in the presence of this assembled multitude of my countrymen to take upon myself the solemn obligation "to the best of my ability to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Good ol' Polk!

No comments: