Friday, July 30, 2010

The Book Depository Map


Whenever I'm out and about, and I see someone with a book tucked under their arm, or reading a small paperback at the bus stop, or lining up at Barnes and Noble to purchase something, I'm always curious as to what they're reading. I guess I'm not alone.

The Guardian takes note of the Book Depository Map.

From the piece...

Isn't that great? For those who resisted clicking the link, it's a nifty little plug-in on the website of the Book Depository, one of the internet booksellers snapping at Amazon's heels. What the Book Depository has that Amazon doesn't is what purports to be a live, real-time map of people actually buying books from them, right there and then, right across the world.

It's the ultimate book voyeurism. I can see exactly what someone bought without following them around the crime and thriller aisle for half an hour. I can relax with a cup of coffee and watch someone in Canada buying a book on quilting, someone in England purchasing a phonics textbook (no summer holidays in their house!) and an inordinate number of graphic novels being sold in Belgium.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

This article has made ME a little curious then....what are YOU reading, Jonathon?