Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Haiku Round-Up


If you know me you know that I have a thing for haiku. I like reading it. I like writing it. I've had some success, publishing-wise, with my haiku, as a matter of fact.

My haiku poems have been published in Haiku Headlines and I'm a regular haiku contributor (a member of the Haikuza) for Portland Fiction based in Oregon. I was a finalist, and mentioned as such, in a book of haiku, Hipster Haiku and my ever popular welding-themed poetry has been published in Welding and Cutting Magazine, seriously.

So it's always nice to see haiku mentioned in the mainstream press. Which brings me to this story found in the latest issue of National Geographic. Howard Norman follows in the footsteps of Basho. Matsuo Bashō (pictured above) was the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan.

And, if after reading the National Geographic piece, you want more of a haiku kick (and who doesn't?!)...

A Haiku a Day
Haiku Nurse
Haiku of the Day
Tiny Words: Haiku Daily

I'll leave you with this. A haiku I wrote that I always liked...

A revolution
High in the Andes Mountains
It was a high coup.

No comments: