Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Some New Year Resolutions


Here we go, y'all! 2008 is upon us which means it's time to make some goals for the coming year. That said, a few of my goals, in regards to my writings and readings...

Reading Resolutions:

a) Read three of the top ten best novels ever written (according to the Modern Library).
b) Read three of the top twenty non-fiction books ever written (again according to the Modern Library).
c) Read more Cormac McCarthy. The Road is the best book I've read in quite some time and the new Coen brothers movie, No Country for Old Men, based on his novel, is amazing.
d) Finish an entire New Yorker before the next one comes out. I have an immense backlog of these wonderful periodicals. I fear I'll never be able to get to them all...sniff.
e) Read more works written by women.
f) Read more poetry.

Writing Resolutions:

a) Make solid contact, or even better, write for one of my favorite magazines.
b) Write funny bits with more regularity.
c) Begin thinking about, with some earnestness, the novel I've had clattering around the back of my mind the past year or so.
d) Query more often to various publications in hopes of getting more stories published.
e) Find an agent.
f) Take a course or two at MIT.

What will transpire this coming year in regards to my writing? What will I write about? For whom? I'll keep you posted. I can't wait!

No comments: