Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Posters Celebrating Walt Whitman


Booktryst highlights linocuts created by artist Paul Peter Piech in 1992 to honor of the 100th anniversary of Walt Whitman's death that have come to market.

From the post...

Published in a small limited edition of twenty-five sets, only one complete copy is recorded by OCLC/KVK in institutional holdings worldwide, at University of Iowa. Only one other record exists for the series, at Harvard's Houghton Library, yet their copy is woefully incomplete with only three linocuts present. This set, then, is the most complete seen in many years; they are scarce in any state, astonishingly so to possess so many prints in the series. Many if not most of the sets have, presumably, been broken up to individually sell the linocuts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I work at a resell shop in Texas and was rummaging through some things when I found a print (?) by Peter Piech. Signed, numbered, and dated in pencil -- Piech 31/75 1973. It has a Kennedy saying under 3 men but is mounted to an awful piece of particle board.

I would like to know how I can find an estimated value of it so I can put a fair price on it. But for the life of me, I cannot find any values of any of his work (unless I pay $35 to the Brits to see what they "estimate" his work that they have on their own site which go to auction this month. Weird!) Is that normal?

At any rate, if you can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!