Thursday, December 04, 2008

Would You Like to Write a Book?


The fine folks at 33 1/3 are accepting book proposals for its critically acclaimed book series. Each book focuses on one specific album in rock history. The writer can write about the sessions in creating the album, or focus on the lyrics, or focus on what was going on in their own lives when that particular album came out and what it meant to them at the time. One of my favorite in the series is Colin Meloy's (lead singer of the Decemberists) book, where he talks about a Replacements album and growing up in Missoula, Montana.

I proposed a book a couple of years back. It didn't make the cut. I have no idea why. I mean, honestly, is not the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album the best holiday album ever created?!



I've already submitted my proposal for this next round. I think I've picked a pretty viable album. We shall see. My thoughts were to write about albums by Beck, Peter Gabriel, or They Might Be Giants. All three of those artists have shaped me in some form or other throughout my life. Beck's "Sea Change" is, in my opinion, his best album due to the fact that he laid himself bare for the first time, without need of all the hoo-haw he likes to put in his music. Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to "The Last Temptation of Christ" is, in my opinion, the most beautiful soundtrack there is. And "Flood," by They Might Be Giants, is wonderfully wacky. "Particle Man" was actually played at my wedding reception (right after the first dance). "Particle Man" or was it "She Blinded Me With Science"? SCIENCE!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album makes me happier than almost anything in the whole world. And it always will. Beaker's "me me me me me" on the 12 Days of Christmas, the bacon joke at Miss Piggy's expense on We Wish You a Merry Christmas, John Denver's sweet-if-slightly-cheesy ballads...ahhhh, pure, unadulterated, Muppet-loving joy.